My Locus of Control

     So, I just took a short survey to determine my locus of control. For some quick background information, internal locus of control basically means that you believe you have control over the events that happen in your life. On the other hand, external locus of control implies that you believe world events or other external situations point your life in a certain direction. This short survey was scored from 0-23 points. The closer you were to 23 points meant you had more of an external mindset while the closer you were to 0 meant you were more of an internal locus of control person. I scored 12. 

    When looking at this topic and my career as an OT, I find it very relevant. The first thing that I find relevant is the effects of an internal locus of control mindset. We as therapist preach to clients that the effort they perform outside of therapy sessions, especially in an HEP, directly impact their outcome. In addition, one frame of reference that is very common in the occupational therapy I have seen is MOHO. This one in particular focuses a lot on motivation which, I believe most people will agree, has a direct impact on performance. So, the two things I just mentioned are internal LOC mindsets. We are believing that what we are doing is directly impacting our performance. Now, I am not saying that you must be internal to be an OT. In fact, it is ignorant to think that the only people who can be OTs are internal LOC minds. However, I believe that we must try to influence our patient's mind into an internal LOC thought process whether that is how you think or not. If a client does not believe that what they are doing really matters, and that what is going to happen is just going to happen, then what is the point of OT? On the other hand, if a client will not think with an internal LOC, which you will have often, then we have to know what to do. If they think that the world is going to pave the way for them, then why not prepare? For example, if a geriatric client believes he is going to have poor balance in the near future no matter what therapy he gets, then why not discuss and educate on possible environmental modifications that can aid him? 

    What I am trying to say is that I truly believe an internal LOC mindset will benefit a client more, due to the belief that therapy is going to help them. However, an external mindset can still be used in a beneficial way in which we prepare the client for the future. People are going to be who they are, and we must realize that and understand how to help anyone and everyone. 

Comments

Popular Posts